Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Janaury 25, 2010

We had a great DEAR day! The children brought in a wide variety of books and dropped everything to read them. We even used our books in gym as place markers and in a running game.

On Tuesday, we will each have a poem in our pocket. Then we will ask each other to read the poems we have throughout the day.

On Wednesday, we will wear a fact on our back. The fact is to come from a book we have read (or had read to us). Attaching the fact could pose a challenge. I wear keys around my neck on a lanyard. When I have lean over children, I often flip the keys over onto my back. I plan to wear my fact attached in the same way.

On Thursday, we will dress up as a book character we like.

Then on Friday, Nicola Campbell, a First Nations author will come to talk to our students about her books. (I will be in Madiera Park in the morning talking about mine.)

We are ironing the kinks out of our Dreambox use. All the children can log in on their own now, and most are good at staying on task. The teacher's dashboard lets me know that some are using the program at home.

You can still give me your email address if you want to check on your child's progress or allow your child to use the program at home.

We now have permission for our parents to extend the usual two-week period to the full time that we will be piloting the program.

I'm available to answer any questions about Dreambox or any other aspect of our classroom life.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear about your beginning journey with DreamBox. You're going to love it and I know you'll be amazed at what your kids know and can learn. I'll look forward to hearing more stories from you throughout these next months. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your blog!

    ...Craig

    ReplyDelete